REFLECTOR: Air Stair Door Update

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Thu Mar 16 16:03:10 CST 2006

Guys, I think I left it that I would report back on how the door was working
after I flew it for a little while. I'm pleased to report that I really like
the way its performing. There are no air or rain leaks into the cabin area
which is good. I was pleased to see that there is zero flexing in the side
of the fuselage, even during some non-soft landings. I've had a 200+ lb
person stand on it with no deflection.  The latching mechanism solidly
secures the door and hatch, but I did add a small pin lock as a precaution.
Building the latch mechanism cover was a tough job, but it looks good and
doesn't interfere with the mechanism.

My passengers have told me they are very happy they don't have to climb up
on the wing to get in. I don't know if this is something that would be a
subject for discussion at the TX builders forum, but I'm really glad I did
it. Builders with the hatch type planes should consider making this
modification which makes it equivalent to an SUV. I've attached a picture of
it in case you didn't see it before. I believe Scott Lower
(slower0228 at aol.com) has completed plans and instructions on how to do this
if you're interested.

Chuck H