REFLECTOR: Tire (OZ...= tyre) wear

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Mon Mar 13 23:04:41 CST 2006

Greg,

The best information available is from the June 2004 issue of Aviation
Consumer magazine.  They measured the diameters, tread depths, wear in their
landing-test tire torture trailer rig, durometer hardness, and weight of a
good selection of the available types of GA tires in the 600 x 6.00 6-ply
size.  It was an extremely valuable article on the relative values of
various tire options.  They concluded that the best value was the Desser
Monster retread, since it had the deepest tread and sold for about $60.

I was trying to get the article off the Aviation Consumer website, but it
appears that their system won't let me on tonight.

Here are the measured diameters (two measurements at 90 degrees to each
other) and weights for the tested tires, including a couple of retreads:

Goodyear Flight Custom    16.43 x 16.76 inch  10.9 lbs.
Goodyear Flight Special   16.56 x 16.62 inch  9.5 lbs.

Michelin Air         16.56 x 16.62 inch  9.25 lbs.
Michelin Aviator     16.68 x 16.69 inch  8.75 lbs.
Michelin Condor      16.56 x 16.62 inch  8.8 lbs.

McCreary SuperHawk   16.87 x 16.81 inch  10.5 lbs.
McCreary AirHawk     16.25 x 16.56 inch  17.9 lbs.
McCreary AirTrac     16.50 x 16.43 inch   7.3 lbs

Desser AeroClassic      16.81 x 16.93 inch  7.9 lbs.
Desser Condor Retread   16.93 x 17.00 inch  10.3 lbs.
Desser Monster Retread  16.87 x 16.87 inch  10.2 lbs.

Note that the Monster Retread was NOT significantly larger in diameter than
the other tires, although the Condor retread WAS!  I was also a bit
surprised to see that the weight of the Monster retread was less than the
Flight Custom, SuperHawk or AirHawk.  The roundness was also better.

I look forward to meeting you in person at the Velocity Builders Symposium.
I'm one of the poor sods who's flying commercial into DFW, so we may even
get acquainted on the ride from there.

Regards,

Keith Hallsten
Roseville, CA