REFLECTOR: AMATEUR-BUILT MAINTENANCE/Certified Engine

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Mar 10 20:23:10 CST 2006

John,

You gotta wonder why people hash this over and over and never get it.

The Regs are the Regs.  Its that simple. Don't be confused by folks
reading their interpretation when its in complete disagreement with the
FAR's and your Operating Limitation.

heres an example of BS from Steve's email.

 >>If you change propellers, you must notify the FAA (not by a 337) of
your change.

This blanket statement about all homebuilts is complete hogwash.  Your
Operating Limitations says what you should do for Major Changes.  There
are not little Major changes and huge Major changes and you do this for
this and that for that..  There are just major changes.  Changing to a
new propeller is a major change, thats all.  Folow your Operating
Limitations on how to handle major changes.

There is nothing in your OL, or mine  that specifies whether your engine
is certified. By definition, if you read the FAR's  the moment you
install your engine into your Velocity it is Un-Certified. Its on an
uncertified mount, it has uncertified parts installed on it.  a
certified engine can only be installed in an airframe that is certified
for it. Your airframe is not so it becomes uncertified before you ever
start it. To return it to certified status an IA must enter that process
into the logs after it has been removed from the experimental airplane.
That process could entail anything from a complete rebuild to a pencil whip.

I've heard the data plate nonsense over and over.   That data plate has
nothing whatsoever to do with the certification status of your engine.
Your logs do.  The engine logs tell the whole story.  Don't be foolish
and rip the data plate off, you don't need to and its a good reference
for doing engine work on the plane.

Scott