REFLECTOR: New vs. Old Operating Limitations

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Mar 8 17:03:02 CST 2006

this is almost the exact wording in my new OL regarding a major change.

It was easy to get my old OL updated. Took one phone call to the local
FSDO.  It was actually a pleasant experience.  On the phone the
inspector said he would not be inspecting my plane like I was getting
the original OL but he might want to verify it had all the placards and
wanted to see my AROW documents.

He never even looked at the plane before having me read the new OL and
agree it was what "I" wanted.  Then he signed  them and  I gave him my
old  one which he  said would be  filed  locally.   Then he said,  "OK,
I'm done  being the FAA inspector, I'm on my lunch break and would love
to  see your Velocity,  as a prospective homebuilder!"

We looked, poked and gabbed for over an hour.  He was salivating over
the RV series..

no problemo.

I was under the impression that the FAA went back on their word to the
EAA and resurrected some of the old requirements  when issuing  new OL's
now, as  evidenced by order  81302e.  Supposedly they are  in the
process of  emending that wording again back to the wording described
below.  Who knows when it will be official. You can always  call your
FSDO and talk to the inspector that handles homebuilts.  Some times
you'll get good guys and bad guys in the same FSDO so if you can scout
around for the most reasonable one its a good idea.

Scott