Major change requirements: was Re: Fw: REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Mar 8 10:10:59 CST 2006

I will try to explain to the folks interested in this thread so we don't
propagate this common misunderstanding of maintenance on a homebuilt.
Incidentally, the folks I find most  confused on this issue to be IA's
and A&P's.   I  think they  resent the limitation of their "god like"
powers that they have over type certified airplanes, that they don't
have over  homebuilt's.

Order 8130.2e is instructions on how to issue airworthiness certificates
for airplanes and parts. Here is the link to the entire document.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgOrders.nsf/0/1b8b51d15012d0e586256d730063d4bc/$FILE/Order8130.2E_with_change%202.pdf

paragraph 134 explains how to issue a certificate for a Experimental
Homebuilt.  I think what is confusing you is you are reading this as the
rule for every existing homebuilt.  It is not. This is instructions for
the inspector on how to word the Certificate and Operating Limitations
for a new certificate.   So if you were to apply for a new or a
re-issued  OL, he or she "may"  use this as a template but they are
given wide latitude in changing it.  This paragraph in no way effects
your or my  certificate or Operating Limitions.

Notice the title of the paragraph, its an "ISSUANCE" not a definition.

134. ISSUANCE OF EXPERIMENTAL AMATEUR-BUILT OPERATING LIMITATIONS.

Like all FAA regs if taken out of context they can be easily
miss-interpreted.

paragraph 134 is a small part of section 7 which deals with all aspects
of homebuilt certification.

SECTION 7. EXPERIMENTAL AMATEUR-BUILT AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATIONS

If you go to the paragraph 128 which deals with certificate procedures
it will explain the required records and inspection and the lifetime of
the certificate and operating limitations.  Specifically sub paragraph
D.2 on page 142. as quoted below.

(2) For the phase II limitations, the FAA must prescribe operating
limitations for the operation
of an amateur-built aircraft for an unlimited duration, as appropriate.

As you can see the Operating Limitations issued for each aircraft has an
unlimited duration.  They are good for the life of the plane.

So, since part 43 does not apply to our airplanes, unless specifically
mentioned in your Operating Limitions(most mention appendix d for the
yearly inspection).   For my particular OL, paragraph 19 spells out what
I need to do for a major change, and no where does it mention getting an
approved 337,  inspection by an IA, A&P or FAA inspector, nor does it
require me to inform anybody. There are requirements for testing and
logging the change and tests, that is all.

Your Operating Limitation's may and probably do vary. Everybody needs to
be familiar with the Operating Limitations issued for "their" aircraft,
as other aircraft OL's mean nothing as far as their airplanes requirements.

I hope this has cleared up your confusion.

Scott