Fw: REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 23:29:33 CST 2006

Maybe its not me that is missing the point. Regulations are updated for a
reason. If they don't apply to you then don't follow them. I looks very
clear to me that if you make a MAJOR change to your aircraft as listed in
21.93 you ARE required to notify the FAA again paragraph 19 of 8130.2E . How
much clearer can it be written. If you contact your man at the FAA and he
says that he doesn't care, you better get it in writing. The next FAA
inspector that does a ramp check on your aircraft and inspects your log
books and finds a unreported major alteration will say that ignorance of the
law isn't an excuse. Again, (see attached document paragraph 19).

Anyone else see that I am missing the point, please explain your view. Just
because your OL might have been written before this law, it doesn't allow
you to make a major change (21.93) and not report it. I assure you that your
insurance company wouldn't cover a loss with an unreported major change to
your aircraft. I know that the FAR's are sometimes as clear as mud. But it
is up to the builder/pilot to ask the FAA for clarification if you can't
determine if a reg applies to you and your aircraft. Again I was told to
always get it in writing by the FAA.

Andy