REFLECTOR: Elevator attachment hinges and alignment

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 18:04:09 CST 2006

Sure,

Here are two pic that cover most of it.  #4 is with the jig fixed on to
the canard, and all the separate hinge jigs perfectly parallel/in line
to each other.  Use of digital level I find invaluable for numerous
purposes like this one.  The jigs are just cut out of a pc of plywood
and shaped to fit.  Top edge has to be a straight line.

After they are in place you will need to shim...look at pic #4 and see
the old shims from the last use...as nec to get all the control surfaces
and the skins to line up.   As an aside to stablize stuff the bottom
half leg out of a pair of jeans and some lead shot works great.
Then as you can see in #5 take your "I" beam and clamp the elevators
into place to line them up.  Also I used a laser dot beam to line up all
the elevator brackets.  I don't have a pic of that.  Go a Walmart to the
hardward department they have a laser lever for $15 that is both dot and
line and is a small torpedo level with a tripod.  It is probably the
best tool I own for the money I paid and the use I get out of it.

As I mentioned once before, if you have a newer kit press out the oilite
fitting and turn it around and you can have the elevator bracket and the
carnard arm line up over the top of each other.  Older kits will already
be like this.

This is all Malcolm Collier and Hangar 18 stuff.  I can take no credit
here, accept doing the work as he lays it out.  He does do (or used to
do) sub-system jobs like this.

Hope this helps.

Terry