REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Mar 7 07:14:11 CST 2006

Andrew,

A while back I went through a similar exercise and spoke with the FSDO.
His take was if the power plant/prop combo didn't change and no flight
surfaces were affected (aileron, rudder, wing) that he saw no reason for
inspection nor an abbreviated test flight program.

If major (as defined above)changes were made, he wasn't even
particularly interested in hearing/seeing that either, though he thought
it prudent that an IA/A&P type guy look at it.  He was less definite
about a new flight test program though he also thought that prudent.

It's an overstatement that the FAA and their inspectors don't care what
Experimentals do, but most see little upside to a high level of
intervention (note, 'most' means both us and the FAA).  The FAA is good
at catching paperwork and niggling items, but rarely are they proficient
at the intense hand-over-hand inspection that a good Flight Advisor or
other party can do for us.

With that said, there is a wide variation between FAA field offices, so
do as much as you feel comfortable and obligated to do.  We will only be
held to the strictest letter of the law in case of an accident---by both
the FAA and insurance company.

Chuck