REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 01:48:47 CST 2006

Ok, I will retract my statement for the need for a 337 and an IA for return
to service. I still stand on my statement that a major alteration to your
type design as applied for when your experimental airworthiness certificate
was issued as defined under FAR 21.93 (prop change) could require inspection
by the FAA prior to further flight. The details of the change would need to
be reported to the FAA in writing to determine if another inspection would
be required. (It would have been easier to use the 337 and IA) See page 4 of
the attached article from 1997 Sport Aviation (Normal Operation of your
Amateur-built). This is a very good article that everyone if interested
should read when they have time. I also found that my copy of the FAR's has
had a lot of changes since its printing in 2002. It is also possible that
the FAR's have been revised since the publication of this 1997 article, to
remove any further need to ever tell the FAA of major alterations to our
experimental aircraft. If so, this is out of character to the FAA as I know
it. If you know this for a fact, please state the FAR and I will buy the
latest copy  to verify.

 I just returned from a two day DER Standardization Seminar presented by the
FAA, and the key statement that was repeated every day, is that they retain
the exclusive rite to determine that you are not endangering the general
public. You can kill yourself but not anyone else.

Transportation Laws Codified at Title 49 United States Code sec. 44701 (a)
The administrator of the FAA shall promote safe flight of civil aircraft in
air commerce by prescribing minimum standards required in the interest of
safety for appliances and for the design, material, construction, quality of
work, and performance of aircraft, aircraft engines, and propellers.

Andy Ellzey