REFLECTOR: Wing Delamination Question

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Mon Mar 6 23:42:37 CST 2006

At 04:54 PM 3/6/2006, you wrote:
>I saw Alan's moulds in action & the results first hand - not impressed! ....
>exceptionally nice guy that I would be happy to call a friend....but instead
>of the finished product emerging uniform and smooth as you would expect,
>they needed heaps of remedial work including substantial filling. Anybody
>grinding them back would have found a heap of filler covering both wet and
>dry resin areas.

We once looked at having Alan do Berkut wings.  We never really
understood his molding technique - it would only work if you were
able to shape your foam precisely, and since it's foam you just can't
hold a decent tolerance as you shape it.  We were able to get pretty
close with the double template sand down technique, but even then we
weren't holding .005 or anything close to it.

The thing that decided it was the weight.  He was very, very proud of
how lightweight his wings were - but they were twice as heavy as the
wings we were doing by hand.  Granted, even the small Velocity wings
were larger than the Berkut wings - but not that much larger.