REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Mar 6 09:50:29 CST 2006

Andrew Ellzey wrote:
> I agree, if this prop was approved for operation without safety wire
> following the manufactures torque instructions when the aircraft was
> given its experimental type certificate, this gives you the
> authorization to continue to use this prop. If however this prop
> wasn't installed on your aircraft at the time of certification, this
> is considered a major alteration and a form 337 with IA return to
> service would need to be filed with the FAA. The aircraft would then
> not be legal to fly until the FAA signed copy of the 337 returns. Read
> Appendix A & B of FAR Part 43.

Andy,  I think your confusing type certified requirements and
experimental certified requirements.  Form 337 is used "Only" for type
certified airplanes, and never for experimental homebuilts.  If you read
the first paragraph of Part 43 it will clarify this for you.

The requirements for a major change in our experimental aircraft are
spelled out in your Operating Limitations.  I can emphatically tell you
that in my O/L's I must do two things.

1.) I as the owner must put my plane back into phase one flight testing
for a period specified by me.  Test the airplane to insure it is still
in a condition for safe operation.

2.) After completion of #1 above, I as the owner must log the change,
log the phase one testing, state the plane is in a condition for safe
operation and now in phase two operating requirements.

I don't fill out a 337, I don't require an AI or A&P.

A homebuilt airplane never requires the use of an IA, ever.  If you did
not build your homebuilt experimental certified airplane,  you will need
an A&P(not an IA) to sign of the yearly inspection. This is not an
annual inspection as required in Part 43, but a yearly inspection as
required in your O/L's

Scott