REFLECTOR: Wing Delamination question

Alex Balic alex157 at pwhome.com
Sun Mar 5 22:44:38 CST 2006

Just to chime in here- since I did suggest using straight resin/no micro -
there is enough styrene monomer in the 2:1 resin to soften the foam- I had
an interesting checkerboard pattern of filler on the bottoms of my wings
where the ridges of micro (which were sanded exactly flush with the foam
before application of the triax ) were now standing above the foam areas- I
had mixed up the slurry for the bottoms a bit thin compared to the tops
which did not experience this problem- now, not saying that it was a lot,
and really not noticeable until I got to filling, then you could see it
plainly- I have had some of the 44:100 - laminating resin drip onto some
blue foam, and there was not any noticeable damage.
So, for filling the void-
1)I would assume that there is some shell of cured epoxy on the foam already
which would protect it from any adverse reaction with the liquid resin, and
2) even if it softens, the void will still fill with resin and harden, so go
ahead and do it- the resin will not "melt" the foam like solvent.