REFLECTOR: Wing Delamination question

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Sun Mar 5 14:05:14 CST 2006

At 11:53 AM 3/5/2006, you wrote:
>Is this a good idea?  Won't sanding/recontouring be removing the
>fiberglass layup?  Won't pure epoxy 'eat' blue foam?

No.  Polyester resin will eat blue foam.  Epoxy won't.

>  (Do fastbuild wings
>have foam cores?)  I think I would warm the blister with a heatgun first
>to soften the fiberglass

No need.  And you might damage the foam core more with the heat.  You
DON'T want to get blue foam over 150 degrees, it will swell and then
you have a BAD problem to deal with.

>then I would inject (through a short large bore
>needle...18 guage or 16 guage) a slurry of warmed (to make it easier to
>inject and to keep the layup warm) microbubbles/epoxy

Don't mix the epoxy with micro, just use straight, slightly warmed,
long pot life epoxy.  Personally, I'd use WEST 105/206.