REFLECTOR: panel screws

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 4 12:07:20 CST 2006

Grigore

 So, you are talking about the panel to aircraft retention screws for now?.
Again, I used Button head cap screws. I used 4 per side, and they are 10/32,
with nutplates on the aft side of the panel flange.

One word of caution:   Do you have the top of your fuselage on?
If not, I would stop right now for final fit.

When I put the top on mine, the top and bottom were mismatched by almost an
inch! Scarred the crap out of me. After scratching my head for a bit, I put
some eyebolts throught the oversized top (In the area of  the door openings) and
attached them together with safety wire. I also put some wood spacers on the
undersized bottom. I adjusted slowly til the top and bottom fit and used pieces
of "L" brackets with clecos to hold it all in place.
Once it was all glassed, I removed the stuff only to find out that the panel
(that I worked on for hours like you) didnt fit perfectly any more. So... more
adjustments.

None of it was hard, and it shows just how forgiving composits are to work
with.

Kurt