REFLECTOR: panel screws

Grigore Rosu grosu at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 4 10:34:47 CST 2006

I'm sure this issue must have been discussed on the list, but perhaps
before I joined.

I just finished sanding my panel to fit and now I'm right about to drill
the 8 (4 on each side) holes to fix it.  However, I realized that the
manual does not suggest any particular screws and/or hardware for that,
nor whether we should countersink for the screws or not, nor whether we
should rivet the nuts or not.  All in all, I don't know how to proceed
here.  It looks like the manual specifically did not want to set any rigid
guidelines here, perhaps because of the multitude of possibilities ...

Also, the manual highlights that many builders make a small, removable
insert in the panel for the throtle mixture and prop controls.  How
necessary is this?  Is it really worthwhile cutting my panel now, at the
begining of my bulding process, without even knowing what engine I'll put
on my airplane (at this moment I intend to put a DH engine) and without
having any serious experience in building?  If it is not a necessity, but
rather a matter of convenience, I'd prefer not to cut my panel.

Thanks,
Grigore