REFLECTOR: Dream Panel, Satellite Weather

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 2 09:32:26 CST 2006

Scott Baker  wrote (about commercial weather braodcast services):
      (snipped)
>  - but costly nevertheless.  One hopes that as subscriber
> numbers rise, the subscription price will fall - but I think that is
> wishful
> thinking.

I agree (about the wishful thinking).  I am wondering if the Government
should someday begin (no-fee) transmission of  this data as a service to
enhance flight safety.  With  the same rational that is accepted for other
"free" radio-related survices such as AWOS/ASOS, VOR, GPS, WAAS,....
Look at the accident statistics that involve flying in or inadvertently into
IMC.  No, I am not suggesting that having in-flight weather depiction is a
substitute for common sense or good judgment but I think most pilots would
agree that having real-time, in-flight weather graphics would go a long way
towards helping to ensure a safe trip.
The politically conservative part of my brain says that this is an activity
that should be covered by private enterprise (like Flight Service and ATC
?.... just kidding).  The subscription price for the high-dollar commercial
operators is less than coffee money.  But for a frugal (read "tight-wad")
occasional cross-country  private pilot flight, the on-going monthly
subscription costs cause me to think that perhaps, just this once, let the
Government do it.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity    N199RS