REFLECTOR: Dream Panel - Flight Management Systems

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Mar 2 09:53:05 CST 2006

Terry,

many thanks for your excellent suggestions.  I've worked both sides of
the radar screen and can relate to your concern over flying single pilot
IFR into congested airspace.

The IFR that is flown in my friends T210, by him, me and another relief
pilot is mostly just getting in or out of an airport with VFR like
flying in between.  We try to stay away from hard en route  IFR as doing
that in the mountain west can be extremely dicey in a small plane when
you mix in embedded Tstorms and widespread icing.

We do fly into ABQ, PHX, LAS, DEN quite a bit, but they aren't like
flying into the LAS basin or SFO bay area as I used to a few years ago,
where amended routings are the norm.  I agree that handling ATC in
congested airspace almost requires two people up front that are trained
in CRM.

When I was working at OAK center I used to fire off those 15 fix
reroutes without giving much thought to who I was giving it too. I was
not a pilot at the time and that is one of the down sides to non-pilot
controllers. There are down sides to being a pilot controller as well
which is another story.  I used to grouse quite a bit on break with
other controllers about those "dinks" and how much of a pain they were.
I have a bit of a different view of GA now! :-)

thanks again,

Scott