REFLECTOR: Dream Panel

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Thu Mar 2 05:08:15 CST 2006

WSI and XM provide essentially the same weather information service ( XM has
an advantage by having music).  The two companies are banging heads to win
market share in the "in flight" weather data arena.  WSI has a huge number
of ground systems operating at FBO's.  A key ingredient - one that will most
likely define the winner in this competition - are the associations WSI and
XM form with avionics display companies.  WSI for instance, "talks" to the
MX20 but not the GNS480.  XM has integrated its system to a wider number of
avionics units - including some hand held Garmin GPS units.  I think that XM
has more subscribers (because it talks with a greater variety of equipment).
I think of WSI and XM in the same fashion as Dish Network and Direct-TV.
Same services (or just about) - slightly different base equipment - and
subscription rates that jockey up and down to give a subscriber a temporary
advantage one day - but costly nevertheless.  One hopes that as subscriber
numbers rise, the subscription price will fall - but I think that is wishful
thinking.
So - all other thinks being equal, since WSI is supporting the Velocity Sun
n Fun dinner with a generous donation - everyone think WSI!
SB