REFLECTOR: Dream Panel

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 1 19:50:31 CST 2006

Ronnie,

You are right! In fact, the FAA isn't doing a whole lot of things that need
to be done "from a safety standpoint".  Most of the folks around here don't
even have a clue about the TIS system, and in fact about the only knowledgeable
person is a tech., that is also a pilot.
In addition, I thought I would bring up a peeve of mine:

  Recently the FAA began using "URET" which is supposed to replace the old
paper flight strips. It has a lot of fancy bells and whistles that would make it
look really fantastic to folks unfamiliar with the air traffic system. One
BIG problem that I notice is that most controllers don't pay any attention to
VFR Flight Following stuff any more. I have literally had dozens of aircraft
that were supposed to enter the area I work, that were Hours overdue, and no-one
looks. Much of it can be traced to typo's, incorrect ground speed entries
(Center computers think every VFR goes 130 kts... regardless of type) but it boils
down to fancy equipment and laziness. Many others don't bother keeping track
of approach clearance info to uncontrolled airports.
  I keep telling the coneheads I work for that the FAA is going to get their
ass sued off due to laziness. There will be an aircraft that goes down, and
no-one is going to look for it (well, I and a couple others would). This has
happened before at Albuquerque Center, and Washington covered it up (the crew of
a downed B-1 froze to death because nobody would admit there were survivors to
look for).

Moral of that rant:  Flight following is no longer as good as it used to be.
If you really want some extra "piece of mind", you must file a VFR flight
plan. In addition, use some good OLE Friend or Family flight plan. Make sure
someone knows where you should be..... less you have a problem and no-one knows you
are missing.

 The shortage of controllers now days, mandatory overtime, poorly maintained
equipment, and scores of other problems are frankly an embarrassment. I wish I
could fix it myself, but the machine is way too big for my hammer. I used to
think it was odd that I would be forced to retire when I was 55. Now... I kind
of look forward to it (even though I still really enjoy working airplanes).

How is that for a Soap Box Ronnie :)

Kurt Winker
173 FGE 340HP Aluminum V-6
Albuquerque Center

In a message dated 3/1/2006 3:32:54 PM Mountain Standard Time,