REFLECTOR: Dream Panel

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 1 16:32:08 CST 2006

Re the GX330:

Unfortunately, I hear the FAA is not implementing TIS broadcast in all
locations and is disabling it in others.  Makes absolutely no sense from a
safety stand point.

Maybe it is time to find out why - or else push real hard for what the
Aussies are doing.  They are even considering providing handheld ADS-B to
all small planes which would be far cheaper than implementing radar all over
Australia.  See http://www.auf.asn.au/navigation/adsb.html

Here's a portable, desktop receiver which sells for under $1000.  An
aircraft mounted unit wouldn't cost much more (needs GPS and altitude
inputs).  http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/SBS-1ProductSpec.pdf

But FAA could be dragging their feet - they complain that they don't have
enough folks to service the growing air traffic in the USA, but they sure
don't get in any hurry in implementing something that would take a whale of
a lot of work off of ATC in calling conflicting traffic.

I'll get off the soap box before I slip off and bust my butt.

Ronnie Brown