REFLECTOR: Tow Bar for RG

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Jun 30 08:52:06 CDT 2006

Here's a different approach for a tow bar.

I use a battery powered tow bar that attaches to the fork, actually
hangs off the attach points.  This adds about 75 lbs to the nose and
prevents the aircraft from tipping over when moved.  I'm in a communal
hanger and need this so if anybody moves my plane they understand "Do
not remove" tow bar.  Its impossible for the airplane to tip back with
the tow bar attached.  Its also easy to move it around with a powered
tow bar.

picture of attach points.  Two 3/8 hex head bolts tapped into the upper
beefy section of the fork.

http://www.tnstaafl.net/canards/fork_attachment.jpg

tow bar connected to fork. You'll notice the nose wheel is reversed so
the drive wheel of the tow bar can rest on the wheel.

http://www.tnstaafl.net/canards/tow1.jpg

same as above from a bit further back.

http://www.tnstaafl.net/canards/rightside.jpg

I've been using this method for about 450 flight hours, no problems.

Scott