REFLECTOR: Another shimmy story...

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 12:34:00 CDT 2006

Pat,

Is the damage from the Shimmy, or is the wear of your bolt and the nose gear
strut pivot because there isn't any grease fittings installed to keep this
nose gear retract pivot point properly lubricated. I have already installed
my gear system and was disturbed with the lack of provisions to lube the
system for the nose and the mains. As with everyone else I was in to big a
hurry to see some progress with my build, to take the time to drill and tap
all of the bushings to install grease fittings. But If your bolt and
bushings have worn in this short of time I will probably take the time to go
back and add a way to grease my gear. My 1964 Mooney's gear had a grease
fitting at every pivot point and it had 0 wear after 40 years of use when I
removed everything for complete strip and paint job in 2004. The gear only
had to be lubed on the annual inspection.

Andy