REFLECTOR: Nosewheel shimmy

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Wed Jun 28 22:54:14 CDT 2006

Hmmm,

A couple of ideas on that.  My first guess would be that the wheel isn't
spinning fast enough to be an effective gyro and my second guess is that
the gyro would be more effective if the axis were at a right angle to
the axle.  Just an uneducated guess though.

I am a new owner and I have not yet experienced any shimmy in the
nosewheel.  But, I believe my washer must be pretty snug.  One thing I
have done is this:  while pulling the plane back into my hangar,
sometimes I need to get the nosewheel turned a bit.  So, I pick up the
nose of the plane (only weighs maybe 20 pounds or so) and move the nose
in the direction I want it to go.  Then I drop the wheel back to the
ground as the nose is swinging around and the tire kind of scuffs the
asphalt and forces the caster around a bit.  By doing this, I believe I
can get a good 'feel' for how tight the contraption should be and I'll
know if it starts to get loose.