REFLECTOR: Soda Blaster Result

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Jun 27 20:50:49 CDT 2006

As you all know I was trying to find out info on using a soda blaster to
remove old paint in an attempt to reduce the amount of work in sanding
all the old paint off the bottom of my  V's fuselage and strakes.

I went over to try out the soda blaster. I took over my lower cowl which
will be seeing a major refit so blasting it is of no consequence.

I'd have to say it worked and it didn't work.  The problem is
controlling how much is removed. When removing a 10 inch wide swath I
could go for 3 or 4 inches and just remove the top coat fairly nicely,
and then poof,  it would dig out a divot down to the glass!  Then it
would act like digging divots was all it wanted to do!  No control

I decided I would have as much extra work filling divots as I would save
by using the soda blaster, and the cost for rental and media was not cheap.

So, back to sanding on my back.

Scott

--

-
    Truth : the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by all governments everywhere. Possession is normally punishable by death.

    Richard Childers