No subject

Wed Jun 28 11:13:47 CDT 2006

much of a hazard as the crash.  Cuts and bruises aside, pilots have
extricated themselves from their aircraft with the hammer.

I doubt you could kick out the windshield.  The seat backs would probably
fail first.

This item has been on my emergency checklist for the Pipers and Cessnas I
rent.  With the forward hinged door there really isn't a penalty for opening
the door in flight.  If I were to open an elite door, I would try unlatch it
and hold it in the closed position.  I have spent some time pondering the
wisdom of opening an elite door purposefully in flight.  I know the plane
can be flown with the door open but it is NOT recommended.  I am sure this
is another very good reason to take training at Sebastian.

The idea of adding this to the mix as I was about to land in inhospitable
terrain gives one pause.  Better to think about it now then try to reason it
out in the middle of an emergency.

The way Sid Knox has been coming up with cool solutions for us, I figure
I'll wait for his exploding bolts.  :)

Best,

Andy