REFLECTOR: Fuel Filter

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Jul 27 11:30:14 CDT 2006

I'm replacing the see through AutoZone quality fuel filter on my plane.
I've always changed the filter element every annual but I just think its
cheap and risky.

Now I'm going back and forth between a inline with cleanable element to
a  paper cartridge type, like a Fram with a spin on filter.

As far as inlines go ACS has a 10 micron for $120,  but Summit has an
Earl 35 micron for $35, both have lifetime elements. The drag with an
inline is they are a hassle to get to the element.  Undo AN fittings or
hose clamps, etc... fuel spilling all over..

Do I really need 10 micron protection for a Continental fuel injected
engine?  The 210 I fly that has this engine doesn't even have a real
filter..  Just a gascolator with a 100 to 200 micron screen.

Scott

--

-
    Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.

    George Bernard Shaw, Liberty