REFLECTOR: Coarse/Fine BID

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Jul 22 14:10:23 CDT 2006

I think the use of peel ply make far more difference in whether or not you
have a leak than which weave of glass.

For fuel sealing surfaces, you definitely don't want to get carried away
with weight reduction - go ahead and make sure you have sufficient epoxy to
fill any voids, then use peel ply to give you a finished surface and pick up
any excess.

Keith Hallsten, XLFG

I would add a comment regarding the use of peel ply in this instance FWIW.
Peel ply works great on lay-ups for removing some of the excess epoxy, and
for preparing the surface for any lay-ups going over it.  It prepares the
surface by forming many surface micro-cracks when it is peeled off.  I don't
think that either of these particular functions are of value on surfaces
exposed to fuel.  This is just a surface phenomenon, not effecting leaks,
but could exacerbate any effects of fuel on the epoxy.

Or it may just be that I am more sensitive to that particular issue using
mogas.

Al