REFLECTOR: Coarse/Fine BID

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Jul 22 10:02:24 CDT 2006

Jorge;

To answer your last question first; fine and coarse BID are similar in
weight; although it seems that the weights have changed some over the last
10 years.  Because of the weave and fiber density, they should generally not
be used interchangeably.  I'm sure in some cases they could be, but the best
advice would be to follow the manual.

In the case of fuel baffles and bulkheads, I would say that for the
bulkheads it is a clear case that fine BID should be used.  Of course it
begs the question of why the inner skins of the strakes, which are prone to
pinhole leaks, are not also of fine BID.  Based on my own experience; I'd
recommend applying a ply of fine BID along the leading 6 - 8" of the inner
skin; but then my experience is limited to strakes that were made 10 years
ago, and before the recommended use of Jeffco for coating the inner skins.

Hope this helps,

Al

Subject: REFLECTOR: Coarse/Fine BID

The manual calls for fine BID to reinforce the vertical and horizontal

seams of bulkheads and baffles (Fig. 9-16. Fuel baffle and bulkhead

location.).  Although up until now I have used coarse BID almost

exclusively, I ran out of fine BID glassing the Divinicel for the fuel

tanks and I am about to start glassing the baffles and bulkheads.

1.  Can coarse and fine BID be used interchangeably?

2.  Can I use coarse BID to reinforce the horizontal and vertical seams

of bulkheads and baffles without increasing the risk of leaks?  Seems to

me like the fine BID would seal better due to a tighter weave.  Am I

wrong?

4.  Is there a difference in weight between the two?

Comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jorge Bujanda

Palmdale, CA