REFLECTOR: Prop Strike

KMis178813 at aol.com KMis178813 at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 23:03:28 CDT 2006

Hey Tim
   I can answer some of your questions. I had a incident at  Sun-n-Fun in
April of 04 and took off about 1.5 inches, off the MT  prop, from the runway
getting in my way. MT was there, looked at the prop,  and told me to cut the
blades off evenly and straight. put 5 minute epoxy on the  bare wood (any epoxy
would work for sealing the wood), and fire it up to check  for vibrations. If no
vibrations were detected go ahead and fly home to VRB some  100 miles or so.
At which point I was missing 2.75 inches per blade after cut  job and clean up.
     Well as you might think that was just a  little disconcerting for me,
but I did it anyway. Almost home with white  knuckles on the throttle. Ready to
pull idle at any point when a blade flew off,  hoping to keep the engine on
the plane. I realized that I was about 9 kts faster  than ever before POINT HERE
(great for racing). The problem was no static  thrust for take off. It
increased my take off role at least 1000ft. After a lot  of thought, I decided to
build Q-Tips for the blades  to regain the thrust  and keep the speed. The tips
were made out of carbon fiber and attached  with carbon. The look fashioned
the Prince Prop CO.  DON'T TRY this at home  but it worked!  Then I had someone
dynamically balance the prop,  for any vibration left. I kept the speed the
same or even a little better  and decreased the take off roll by 500ft (still
500ft more than it should be).  The blades stayed for our entire summer family
travel season and worked  fine until a Hanger/Employees/Management/
Workers/Wind problem broke two blades?  MT does not offer a Q-Tip so I'm back to original
on all three.
     Just a minor inconvenience or maybe the edge you  needed for the race. I
will be there next year for the race and I plan to  measure your prop to see
what I'm up against. Good luck, be safe, and have  FUN.

                                                         Ken Mishler   SUV
N2087M   &
                                                        XLRG-5  w/TIO540
under construction