REFLECTOR: Energy Sources

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Mon Jul 17 18:51:09 CDT 2006

Although I think we probably shouldn't be discussing GW (no pun intended),
but since the door has been opened, I'd like to add my 2 cents worth,
especially if we plan to continue flying our V's at a reasonable cost in the
future.

----------------

Ronnie wrote:
And, it uses (ethanol) just about a much energy to make the stuff as it
produces.

Sorta like the hydrogen economy - its going to take a lots of electricity -
as in nuclear to make all that hydrogen.

--------------------

I'm not going to argue whether we know for sure that there's GW going on or
not, but I think we'll all agree that the N.Pole is melting pretty rapidly
and Greenland is showing signs of problems. Whether that's due to burning of
fossil fuels is debatable, but it could be. Given that,we have a choice,
either do nothing and continue to increase our use of oil, coal, gas,
etc.,or start figuring out how to develop a better fuel source that reduces
CO2.

I don't think ethanol is the answer, but it is better than fossil fuels
because it's CO2 neutral. By just growing corn, it eats up CO2 which is then
released when it is burned, and most of all it isn't sent overseas to our
buddies and bankrupting the country.

The only real viable answer is to get moving on hydrogen. If we can go to
the moon, we should be able to build hydrogen plants. Hydrogen powered cars
already exist and are the same as any gas powered vehicle (propane, natural
gas, etc). The real question is how do we make the electricity to make the
hydrogen. We have huge coal and oil shale deposits, but unless we pump the
CO2 underground afterwards(currently being done on test basis), it's not
going to reduce CO2. Non-CO2 energy sources are hydro, wind, solar, and
nuclear-all of which have their problems, but are pretty established
technologies.

Fortunately, the US can pursue all of these here. The upper midwest has
enormous potential for wind farms. The southwest has large deserts for solar
power. Hydro in AK could be tapped. Finally, nuclear is currently under
consideration again for the US (even the Sierra Club says that overall it's
on balance the best energy source).

In order for this to happen, we need real leadership from our government.
Even if you don't consider GW, I'd like to see us develop energy
independence. If we reduce our dependance on foreign oil, the price should
not continue to increase, and this should make it less problematic for us to
fly our V's. It's a choice and I hope we make the right one.

Chuck H