REFLECTOR: New Aviation Fuel?

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Jul 17 17:15:51 CDT 2006

We could argue all year about how much energy it takes to create one
gallon of ethanol, or how much energy it takes to create one gallon of
gasoline.   Gasoline ain't free either, I worked in the oil exploration
industry for a few years and its not cheap.  I think finding fields of
corn or switch grass is much easier! :-)

I've heard well meaning, well educated people spout figures about
different energy resources that covered the entire spectrum, I  think
the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

The one thing I think is obvious to all is that the hydrocarbon
economy(as a fuel) has a finite lifetime and will only get more
expensive from here on out, possibly at an ever increasing rate.  There
is only so much crude, it takes a long time to make it(millions of
years), we are burning it(stupid)  up at a prodigious  rate.  With other
growing economies around the world wanting more of what we have the
supply and demand teeter toter is swinging hard and fast towards the
supply side.  As is evident in crude futures, gas prices  and actually
in just about everything we purchase.

Poopooing  alternative energy resources that can be harvested locally be
they solar, geothermal, wind, bio-diesel, ethanol,  tidal engines,
etc...  can only  put us further under the heal of the oil cartels
around the world.  The middle east country's know they have a limited
resource that will eventually run dry and are going to make every dime
they can while they can.  I'd probably do the same.

I agree that some of the new energy ideas are pie in the sky, but  many
of them have merit and should be encouraged.

100LL has other problems, one large one being TEL. Its dangerous to all
life forms and we are supplied by one company in the world and its not
in America.  100LL  is also high in lead and the EPA has its eye on
eliminating it as soon as possible.

AGE85 might not end up being the replacement for 100LL but I'm very
happy to see alternatives coming out.  So far its the only alternative
I've seen that has a chance of replacing 100LL in a manner that would
allow us to burn either 100LL or AGE85 or a mix of both fuels in our
engines as 100LL is phased out. A big plus.

Scott