REFLECTOR: Oil cooler VG photo

Dave Nelson davenali at charter.net
Sun Jul 16 15:58:01 CDT 2006

I do have logs of outside air temp vs. oil temp over various configurations
& with a "standard" flight profile.  I've also logged things like cooler
outside temp (measured with an IR temperature probe).  Oil inlet and outlet
temp I don't have - more difficult to get.  The most valuable thing would
actually be inlet and exit oil pressure to the cooling loop (at least that's
why my Lycoming contact would like to see most).  I agree that pursuing this
kind of issue requires collecting good, repeatable data.

I've also done oil flow studies, which are the equivalent of tufting.
Basically, you smear dirty oil over your pretty airplane and go flying.
When you land, you can see where the air is attached, etc.  What that shows
is good attachment in the area of the oil cooler NACA scoop, and pretty good
attachment leading to the armpit scoops.  Interestingly enough, there is
evidence of air backing up in the armpit scoops, meaning that they could be
reduced further.  I haven't pursued that since CHTs are running fine.

Dave