REFLECTOR: Oil cooler VG photo

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sun Jul 16 13:07:01 CDT 2006

I always wonder, when I hear of the problems people have had.  I've
never seen the data that's conclusive.

Most times the data is conflicting.  Two seemingly identical
installations; one no problem, the other big problems.

It sounds like you've done a lot of work here.
I would like to see the temperatures and flows associated with the oil
cooler.  Should be simple.  I'm only asking for four parameters:
1) Outside Air temp
2) Cooler exhaust air temp
3) Oil inlet temp
4) Oil outlet temp

nice to have:
5) Oil flow
6) Air flow

In everything I've seen on the reflector, I have never come across
anyone that has information on all these parameters.  I've seen lots of
modifications that have claimed benefits, but then there's no data that
we can look at to tell which parameter change provided the benefit.

It's frustrating.  I'm still building, and have no right to tell others
they are doing us builders a disservice.  There's just a dearth of good
information.  Heck, even just basic tuft testing.  I'm only aware of (I
think) Sid Knox that did tufting on his V.  That's the kind of stuff I'm
looking for.  It's cheap, yet very few people seem willing to put in the
effort to gather good data.

When I think "experimental aircraft", this is the image that comes to
mind.  Yeah, you can go places too for those $140 (inflation) hamburgers.

I hope when I'm flying I still have the inclination to collect this data
and share it with the rest so they can make better airplanes.