REFLECTOR: Oil cooler VG photo

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Jul 15 20:57:36 CDT 2006

Dave,

I have  Std RG, and had an IO360 200 HP engine in it.  Standard oil
cooler.  When I bought the plane I had temp problems. Bad ones. Couldn't
run any where near 75% power without over heating.

I did the following which allowed me to run 75% any time of year and
normal cruise temps were 190, I even had to cover up some of the oil
cooler in the winter to get the temps above 180.

1.)  Put turning vanes in the oil cooler duct and smoothed out the duct,
especially the exit. You don't want turbulent air downstream of the cooler.

2.) Got very anal  about air leaks in the engine cowl/baffling.  Any
hole larger than 1/4 inch must be plugged. Also be sure the silicone
baffles are pressed against the engine so that the air pressure will
tighten them against the heads.  Lowering your CHT's will have a
dramatic effect on your oil temps.

3.) Run LOP.  I installed a Lightspeed Ignition that provided such good
complete fuel burn I could run 75 degrees LOP which dropped my oil temps
5-10 degrees from a similar ROP power setting.

Scott