REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 26, Issue 47

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 11:44:02 CDT 2006

Mark, I bot an unfinished plane (it had the strakes on) from a guy in
Nogales, AZ and trailered it to Seattle on an open car carrier behind a
Uhaul truck. I put it on the trailer with the nose wheel in one ramp along
with one of the main wheels, and blocked the other main wheel up in the
other ramp so that it wouldn't be too wide. The truck was long enough so
that I could hang the (fast build) wings on the walls inside using straps.
Got everything in the truck and the plane was sealed up with duct
tape.Worked great and did it in 2 days. You need to check what the local
state laws are for width (I was over a little bit-about a foot).

Chuck H

Mark Means wrote:

I am in the USAF and have been working on my 173RG for years. Unfortunately
I may have to move again with the engine, strakes, etc. done. For the last
move I took everything off and Dan Fast and I loaded it up at a 60 degree
angle in his trailer, worked okay but don't want to take it apart to that
stage again, too much backpedaling. Has anyone gotten a trailer and done the
"oversized load" long distance? Care to share the experience, problems, etc?
I would search the archives if I could figure out how. Thanks for any help.