REFLECTOR: Oil cooler air flow

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 14 09:50:04 CDT 2006

BlankI was experiencing oil temperatures close to the 230 F limit on my
Franklin powered SE/RG.  I have the stronger spring installed in the oil
bypass but still have the 1/2" oil lines and standard size oil cooler.  Rick
Lavoie did a bunch of things to solve the problem, all of which work.  I
wanted to avoid replacing the oil cooler and replacing the 1/2" lines with
5/8".  Being a lazy guy, this seemed like way too much work.  I remembered
when folks went to the NACA top scoops instead of the armpits,  airflow was
improved by adding a couple of VG's out front.  Since it's cheap and easy to
try, I did.  No science involved.  I stuck on a pair made of angle aluminum
that I though looked about right.  To my amazement,  my oil temperatures
dropped 20 F.

Larry Coen
N136LC
SE/RG Franklin/IVO