REFLECTOR: Accident/Incident

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 14:36:35 CDT 2006

Ouch! That hurts. RG's come at a heavy price even
without this type of incident.

I've got an XLRG. All told, I spent over 1,000 hours
on my gear installation if you include the additional
strake work required, etc. I just replaced my nose
gear strut/keel bushings with upgraded versions - good
for another 40 hours, and I haven't painted the new
strut yet...

In terms of maintenance, I've needed to replace the
gear pump, rebuilt the nose gear door cylinder twice,
re-finished the main gear doors twice, replaced the
main gear cables, replaced the high and low pressure
switches...

Last year, while returning from Osh, my gear pump
started cycling in cruise. We landed in Dodge City to
find hydraulic fluid all over the belly of the plane.
A $2 O-ring failed on an A/N fitting at the gear pump.
Luckily it was still early in the day - the FBO there
gave us a place to work and access to all the tools we
needed, plus they had the part we needed!

I think I need to have a picture taken while doing a
low pass w/ the gear up, then blow the picture up and
put it on the wall in my office, and slowly recoup my
investment one stare at a time...

Pat

  Apparently the