REFLECTOR: Ouch!

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 18:43:46 CDT 2006

Hi Larry,

My did the same thing - but my nose wheel would rub on
the bottom of the small hatch cover. The black skid
marks were easy to spot... Like you, in the hangar I
had lots of clearance which had me scratching my head
for a minute. Then, with the gear retracted and the
hatch cover off, I grabbed the nose gear and could
easily lift it up an inch or two. In flight, the nose
tire would essentially "bounce" off the the bottom of
the hatch. I sanded down the contact spot on the
hatch, but still get light contact every now and then
(along w/ the corresponding odor. Probably a better
fix would be to install a foam stopper just aft of the
small hatch to prevent this additional travel. This
pad could contact the flat spot on the top of the nose
fork. I haven't really looked - maybe there's a better
location for a stopper.

FWIW, Pat