REFLECTOR: Aerodynamic trim

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sun Jul 9 00:30:53 CDT 2006

Dave,

Now you've got it.  That's the definition of an unstable situation.
Airplanes are generally designed to tend to return to straight-and-level.
The sparrow strainer is part of the design of the Velocity in this regard.

In some aircraft, stability is undesirable - fighter jets and aerobatic
planes come to mind - but they are more difficult to fly than planes that
have designed-in stability.  The Velocity is very stable in roll and yaw -
the sparrow strainer adds some stability in pitch to match.

Keith Hallsten

Dave Philipsen wrote:

<snip>

I just thought of another possible reason that the factory advises to
put the sparrow on upside-down:  If you start a descent and your
airspeed increases, the sparrow would pitch the airplane down a little
more which would increase airspeed a little more which would pitch it
down a little more.....well, you can see where we're going!  Down, and
fairly fast.