REFLECTOR: Another aerodynamic question

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Fri Jul 7 22:40:55 CDT 2006

I was doing a little 'transition training' today with Curt Smith, a CFI
in southern IL who also happens to be a Cozy flyer.  We slowed the Velo
down until we started to get the slight oscillation in pitch from the
canard as it started to stall. With the two of us and full fuel, the
airspeed indicator indicated that to be about 65-70 kts.  At this slow
speed, we both noticed a tendency for the plane to roll to the left a
little.  The roll could be corrected with a little right rudder but the
response from the ailerons was a bit sluggish at that slow speed.  We
also noticed that the trailing edge of the canard elevator is just a bit
higher on the right side than on the left.  It seemed to be maybe
1/4-inch to 3/8-inch higher.  My first question is:  can this be
adjusted out?  Secondly:  Could it be the cause of the left rolling
tendency near canard stall speed?  I also noticed just a slight left
turning tendency even at cruise.  My ailerons appear to be flush with
both wings at their neutral position.

--
Dave Philipsen
STDFG