REFLECTOR: Aerodynamic trim

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Fri Jul 7 22:29:58 CDT 2006

Just a question for anyone that is currently flying with the "sparrow
strainer".  I have one of these on my canard and, since I'm a new owner,
I'm just getting used to some of the quirks.  I was flying home
cross-country this evening and noticed that as I started my descent from
5500 feet to my home airport, I could only get about a 300-400 fpm
descent with the trim max'd out all the way down.  As the airspeed
started to build up in the descent, the "sparrow" evidently became more
effective and I actually lost all of the available pitch down trim that
I had started with.  So, I had to hold the stick forward with a fair
amount of pressure to maintain a 500-600 fpm descent.   As I slowed down
entering the pattern, the pitch down became effective once again.

Should I experiment with trying to effectively disable maybe 50% of that
"sparrow" airfoil and see what happens?  Has anyone else had the same
experience?

--
Dave Philipsen
STDFG