REFLECTOR: FM-300 and RSA 5AD1

John Tvedte JohnT at comp-sol.com
Fri Jul 7 15:36:57 CDT 2006

Matt,

It is the amount of air they will flow - The RSA 5 is fine for a
IO-540C/D engine - but the IO-540K has an RSA10 series servo.

I had asked Don at Airflow previously....note, he says at high altitudes
- what he has said to me on the phone is that at sea level, both servo's
will flow enough air for the engine to develop max HP - but they won't
at altitude - that is where an FM200, or FM300 (in the case of the
IO-540K) shine.

------------------- Some comments from Don....

Since a stock IO-540K should make 300 HP, adding compression and port
work should get the engine over 330 HP.  I would install a FM-300A on
this installation.  To take advantage of the higher compression ratio
the FM-300A will allow the engine to breath easier at high altitudes.
This fuel control would give better performance both in throttle
response and air flow capacity than the RSA-10.

As far as air filters are concerned it basically comes down to a
pressure drop issue.  What ever flows more air with less pressure drop
is the part to use.  You could also build an alternate air system so
that you could run unfiltered ram air at altitude and alternate filtered
air on the ground.

Don Rivera
Airflow Performance
111 Airflow Drive