REFLECTOR: ram air

Douglas Holub doug.holub at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 11:33:15 CDT 2006

Al,

I think you're right about the lack of high pressure. What I like about the scoops on top of the strakes is how short and straight the path is to the cylinder heads. I just looked at the F-105's air intake, and I love it! (Photo attached.)

Doug

I don't see any reason to expect a high pressure area above the strake at
the strake/fuselage intersection; so if you are going there your sketch "A"
is going to work the best.  And then you may want to get it up away from the
stake a bit to better allow BL diversion.  For cooling air you'd likely be
better off with such a scoop below the strake where there would be higher
pressure at high angle of attack.

FWIW,

Al