REFLECTOR: ram air

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Jul 6 09:48:41 CDT 2006

Richard wrote:

I agree with the 1.4" theoretical boost, and how to get it.

But it will never result in decreased fuel
burn.  At 170 kts your drag is determined
completely by induced and parasite drag.  Your
fuel burn is your fuel specific times the
horsepower required to equal that total drag.

You're right, of course.  I had in my mind at that moment that if you had
more performance capability you could throttle back for the same speed, but
unless you can get more performance out of the same amount of fuel (e,g;
increase in compression ratio); it will take the same amount of fuel burn
for the same speed.

Al