REFLECTOR: ram air

J.F.Sheehan at larc.nasa.gov J.F.Sheehan at larc.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 5 10:21:19 CDT 2006

The theoretical is possible with a very good designed intake. The practical gain in manifold pressure is somewhere between 1/2inch and 1 inch MP. The opening of the ram air scoop should be sized for the volume. The passage to the servo should be a little larger to allow the volume to expand thus maintaining the same pressure at the servo. I used a air scoop from Velocity I don't know if it is on the store web site but you can call. The scoop is mounted under the airplane just forward of the firewall with the end of the scoop coming up right behind the firewall. I have the scoop attached as part of the lower cowl. If I had it to do over I would make it attached to the fuselage so that i did not have to remove the scat hose connecting the scoop to the servo each time I removed the cowl. (Hind sight) Thw scat tube (4 inch dia) is connected to a  airflow performance adapter (made for IO-540). (www.airflowperformance.com) It has a butterfly valve which allows me to select ram air or filtered air. The filtered air is taken from inside the engine compartment through a K&N air filter attached to the adapter. ( race car style).
In flight I see a difference of 3/4 inch MP at 10K feet between the filtered air and the ram air. Photo of adapter shows the air filter the open end of the adapter goes to the scoop. it is important to get the scoop opening at lest 3/4 inch away from the fuselage in order to be out of the boundary layer to keep the drag a low as possible. scoop needs a nice rounded edge not a sharp edge.
I think it was worth the effort and expense

Jack Sheehan
N55XL
Race 55