REFLECTOR: ram air

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 4 13:45:12 CDT 2006

On my Starduster I mounted the throttle body directly behind (no air
cleaner) the opening in the center of the cowl below the prop.  I estimate
that I am getting a MP boost of perhaps one-inch.

The induction air for my Velocity comes from the right-hand NACA opening on
top.  It is divided about 33/66 with the larger portion going for cooling
cyls 2 and 4.  Total path length from the NACA opening, thru the divider,
thru a K&N filter, and into the Bendix servo body is quesstimate 18 inches.
I suspect that there is not much if any ram effect thru all that.

That did not answer your question... I think the amount of MP boost (if any)
from providing "ram air" would be highly dependent on a bunch of variables
and quite difficult to predict.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity    N199RS