REFLECTOR: Elevator attachment hinges and alignment

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 19:21:03 CST 2006

Hi All,

I have a small piece to add to this thread, especially since I have just
today epoxied in my elevator hinge arms.

First I agree a lot with you, Pat, that the elevator attach method
spelled out in the manual is not very precise.  It says basically line
up the under surface of the elevator with the undersurface of the
canard, but the canard surface is curved.  Malcolm Collier and Hangar 18
let me use a jig he has that any future builder could make.  Take a
piece of plywood about 18 long and about 4 inches tall.   (Make 6 of
these.) Curve the first 12 inches or so to cradle the bottom face of the
canard to include both a little bit of the leading edge and the aft
curving edge of the canard.  With a jig saw, follow that aft contour of
the carnard.  There is a one inch or so space between the end of carnard
and beginning of the elevator that will accommodate you doing this.
Then make the remaining 6 inches or so flat to mate with the elevator
surface. Then shim the elevator half of the jig until you are happy with
the relative allignment.

5 min epoxy the whole mess making sure you have the .05 gap (or whatever
call out) for the gap between canard and elv.  File down a stir stick to
a mic'd .05; chop it up into 5 or 6 pcs and scotch tape them down to get
a good consistent span-wise .05 gap so as to hopefully get the maximum
designed elevator movement.  Then flip it over (carefully) to attach the
hinge arms.    Be sure to pick jig attach points where the hinges will
not be in the way!

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I also found it very very
difficult to taper evenly the aft edge of the carnard front body down to
030.  This measurement too is a clearance issue that affects elevator
throw limits, and shaping/holding a sanding tool here is next to
impossible.  I've got no tricks for this one.  Several times I got too
sharp and had to loose overall for'd/aft length because of it... and my
taper sucks.  I hope to fix it after my hinge arms cure.

I have another elevator attach discovery to share.  I have an XL-5.  I
have two construction manuals to reference (1996 & 2003).  If you
haven't attached your elevator to your canard yet, look at your hinge
bracket and see which side of the hinge bracket has the spacer collar
that is a machined portion of the inserted brass bushing.  In the 1996
construction book, the drawings show that the hinge arm should lay over
the top of the hinge bracket with the collar located between them. In my
2003 book (and 2005 kit) that brass insert in the hinge bracket is put
in the opposite way (backwards?) and the book was revised to show that
you attach the hinge arm "next to" and not "over the top of" the footing
of the hinge bracket.  Not a big deal maybe, but it is no big deal
either to press out that bushing and install it so the bracket and arm
assembly will be more closely alligned with the stress/load transfer
between the two surfaces.  Also the inboard-most hinge arm attach screw
gets in the way of the torque tube insertion if you leave them as is.

I've got pics of that jig if anyone wants it.  I can't take credit for
the above, but I will take all the blame for passing anything along
that's not correct.  Nothing here is intended to be official, or
correct, or better, nor do I encourage deviation from written
documentation.  When in doubt call the factory.  ...just MY two cents
(not from H-18) and it is in thanks to people who have helped me along
the way who I can't pay back in kind.

Still sewing seat covers, and learning about paint chemistry in my spare
hours,
Terry