REFLECTOR: Elevator Trim Spring

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Jan 30 15:37:30 CST 2006

One of these days when I have more money than sense, I would like to try
out some of these things.  Of course this would require the services of
an aeronautical engineer.

It seems to me that a flying canard, or articulating canard would be one
of the tricks for a really efficient go fast canard airplane.  The other
trick would be to adjust the winglet angle.

Someone mentioned about the possibility of a deep stall.  I think that
an articulating wing would be no more prone to a deep stall condition
than the existing elevator.  The canard stalls at a certain AOA.  If
it's articulating, it will still stall at the same AOA.  As long as the
canard is not oversized, then it can't stall after the main wing.
Anyway, if one were interested in speed, one would reduce the size of
the canard, moving even farther from the main wing stall.

If the canard were articulating, the dreaded deep stall possibility
could be eliminated.  There could be an emergency setting that would
allow it to be rotated 90 degrees down to drop the nose and get the main
wing flying again.