REFLECTOR: ELT

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Jan 29 10:10:49 CST 2006

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: ELT

Hi AL

My Velocity wings have an com antenna molded in each winglet .We used the
spare antenna and mounted the ELT under the right front seat.With my ELT it
is possible plug in a  mic and transmit on 121.5.If you do not have a spare
antenna you might use what is called a splitter.

Mack

That's an interesting idea.  I have one com connected to each antenna, and a
splitter would degrade the signal strength a bit.  But I have two unused VOR
antennas; one that I installed in the top of the fuselage, and one in the
wing. (I have one VOR using an antenna in the other wing.) The VOR frequency
range, 108 to 118, is a bit low, but I wonder how that would work for the
ELT.  Probably neither the VOR or com antenna would be very effective for
the 243 kHz frequency.

Al