REFLECTOR: Close Encounter

aminetech at bluefrog.com aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Jan 24 09:10:25 CST 2006

Ditto for me.  Flying over DFW at 11,500,heading east, I was on FF in
contact with regional.  Out of nowhere comes a jet headed right for me.
All I had time to do was say, "6Q has traffic at 2 and it's going to be
close".  Then regional contacted the jet who replied that he was in the
process of responding to a TA.  I'd like think that I made a decision to
do nothing because the jet was aware of me and was avoiding me, but the
truth is I didn't have time to make a decision.  It was over before I
could say "OH S*#%".  In less than a minute 2 other jets came from the
same direction (it was a busy IFR route and there are many of them going
through DFW).  It's hard to believe that the controller missed that one.
Or did he decide that since both me and the jet were maintaining altitude
that it wasn't a factor?  Anyway, check that your altimiter is accurate,
that your pressure setting is correct and don't even THINK about changing
altitude near a busy IFR route.

John